Jackie Made… Crochet goods

Posts tagged ‘kentucky derby’

Crazy Crochet Derby Hat

My mom needed a hat for her Red Hats Derby party next week.  She gave me a few things she wanted me to use.

Supplies my mom wanted me to use

Supplies my mom wanted me to use

The yarn is cotton so it was breathable, 2 medallions but I only used 1, flower buttons and wire that is used with flower arrangements.  She also added later a zebra she painted as a “horse of many colors” but really looks like a donkey of many colors and some fake flowers.

She said she wanted it big… wide and tall.  I thought about it for a few days and started… of course it turned into something I couldn’t even imagine if I wanted to.  I just kind of went with it and if it seemed like it was going somewhere I didn’t like I just adjusted the stitch and fixed it in the pattern.  I think it turned out pretty good.

Front side of hat

Front side of hat

 

Side of hat

Side of hat

Other side of hat

Other side of hat

 

Back of Hat

Back of Hat

And here are some picture of me modeling the hat

Jackie modeling front of hat

Jackie modeling front of hat

Jackie modeling side of hat

Jackie modeling side of hat

 

Jackie modeling other side of hat

Jackie modeling other side of hat

 

Jackie modeling back of hat

Jackie modeling back of hat

I used the flower stems and the wire that I had off the bat to support the hat.  I just weaved it thru nothing too complicated.  It is being used by an adult so I am not concerned about my mom poking herself.  I warned her to check before putting on the hat.  If I had more time I would find a better way to hide the wired.  I connected the “horse” by tying it on to the side and rim of the hat… again a simple and quick solution because my time ran out.

I used the shiny ribbon and glitter flower buttons to give a bit of sparkle which is always necessary with big hats.  And it also has a nice large rim to go with a Kentucky Derby hat.  It took a few days to make and I used up all the yarn of those colors I had plus used a purple/multi colored yarn around the rim edge to make it a bit larger.  It actually goes quite well… in the purple yarn there is a green/yellow color that went with the rest of the hat.

So that was my fun for the last week.  I like a good challenge and the freedom to do whatever I want with the materials given… will have to do this again soon.

 

 

Advertisements

Tag Cloud