My mom needed a hat for her Red Hats Derby party next week. She gave me a few things she wanted me to use.
The yarn is cotton so it was breathable, 2 medallions but I only used 1, flower buttons and wire that is used with flower arrangements. She also added later a zebra she painted as a “horse of many colors” but really looks like a donkey of many colors and some fake flowers.
She said she wanted it big… wide and tall. I thought about it for a few days and started… of course it turned into something I couldn’t even imagine if I wanted to. I just kind of went with it and if it seemed like it was going somewhere I didn’t like I just adjusted the stitch and fixed it in the pattern. I think it turned out pretty good.
And here are some picture of me modeling the hat
I used the flower stems and the wire that I had off the bat to support the hat. I just weaved it thru nothing too complicated. It is being used by an adult so I am not concerned about my mom poking herself. I warned her to check before putting on the hat. If I had more time I would find a better way to hide the wired. I connected the “horse” by tying it on to the side and rim of the hat… again a simple and quick solution because my time ran out.
I used the shiny ribbon and glitter flower buttons to give a bit of sparkle which is always necessary with big hats. And it also has a nice large rim to go with a Kentucky Derby hat. It took a few days to make and I used up all the yarn of those colors I had plus used a purple/multi colored yarn around the rim edge to make it a bit larger. It actually goes quite well… in the purple yarn there is a green/yellow color that went with the rest of the hat.
So that was my fun for the last week. I like a good challenge and the freedom to do whatever I want with the materials given… will have to do this again soon.